This quick and easy dish makes use of leftovers from your daily prep as well as breadcrumbs from yesterday's bread. They can also be frozen for use as required.
Make a roux by melting the butter and adding plain flour and stir until smooth.
Add milk and whisk until smooth and thickened.
Add spices and cheese, whisk until smooth.
Fold in pork belly/chicken/bacon/mushrooms/capsicums.
Chill uncovered until set, roll/cut to desired size and shape and double crumb in crumb mix.
Deep-fry croquettes at 160°C until crispy and golden brown.
Portion yield: 15–30 croquettes, depending on size.
- 100g Mainland Unsalted Butter
- 100g plain flour
- 1L Anchor Blue Top Milk
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg (optional)
- 1 pinch ground clove (optional)
- 375g Mainland Smoked Cheddar or Mainland Tasty, grated
- 350g cooked pork belly trimmings/cooked chicken/cooked bacon, diced
- Season to taste
- 200g breadcrumbs from day-old bread
- 25g chopped parsley
- 25g lemon zest
- 50g Mainland Shredded Parmesan