A great way of getting a double use from your yoghurt; Strain the yoghurt to separate the whey and create Labneh ‘yoghurt cheese’
Lemon & herb Labneh Ingredients
- 500g DeWinkel natural yoghurt or Fresh n Fruity Greek yoghurt
- Oil filter, muslin cloth or chuxcloth lined strainer
- 1 zest of lemon
- 2 Tbsp. chopped soft herbs of your choice
- Season to taste
- Pour yoghurt into lined strainer and place over a tall container and refrigerate for 4 hours
- When the whey has separated, take your labneh and place in a smaller mixing bowl
- Fold in lemon, herbs and season to taste
Labneh is a great healthy alternative to mayonnaise as well as a tasty base for sides.
Great to dot through a salad or green vegetables.
Finish your pasta or gnocchi dish.
My favourite, serve Labneh with smoked salmon and capers on garlic flatbread.
Chef Todd Thorburn
Don’t discard the Whey as there are many uses for it! Add to protein shakes, use to ferment vegetables like cabbage to make sauerkraut. Use in lieu of buttermilk for southern fried chicken. Make some whey ricotta or for the crispiest and lightest pizza dough around (see next recipe).