A great crispy Pizza Dough Recipe that incorporates the whey left over from making Labneh (strained yoghurt).
Makes 5 x 30cm (medium to thick pizza bases)
- 340ml liquid whey, warmed to about 38c (tempered)
- 1kg all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. dry active yeast
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil – a little for painting the crust as coming out of the oven
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl until well incorporated.
- Allow the dough to rest 10 minutes.
- Knead the dough 7 to 8 minutes. It will be tacky. Add more flour if needed but do so sparingly.
- Cover the dough with a dish towel or plastic wrap and allow it to rise 1 hour.
- Preheat oven and baking stone (or two inverted baking sheets) to 250c
- Divide the dough into two balls.
- On a well-floured surface, press each ball into a flat round disc.
- Use your hands to stretch and shape each ball into a 12-inch circle.
- Place the dough on nonstick baking paper and they will be easy to transfer and won’t stick to the baking tray or pizza stone.
- Top the pizza with sauce and your choice of toppings and cheese.
- Bake 10 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Slice and enjoy
Chef Todd Thorburn
Save any left over dough by rolling out the pizza bases and place all your toppings and then freezing until required.