Greek Loukaniko Sausage Mince
- 350g lamb mince
- 600g pork mince
- 250g pork fat, fine diced
- 15g kosher salt, about 2 tablespoons
- 15g sugar, about 2 tablespoons
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
- 1 tspn ground coriander seed
- 1 tspn cracked black pepper
- 2 tspn fennel seeds
- 1 tspn crushed dried oregano
- 1 tspn dried thyme
- 1 Tbspn grated fresh orange zest
- 60ml red wine
- Mix the pork fat, and both minces together with salt, and sugar. Put this in the fridge overnight if possible or for at least an hour.
- Add coriander, black pepper, fennel seeds, orange zest and wine, mix the sausage and mince well by hand for 2 minutes.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Remove from refrigerator and break up into loosely gathered pieces (like rough mini meatballs).
- Lay on to a lined tray and bake in the oven for 10 mins at 160c to seal and par-cook ready for service.
Pan fry and finish with lemon juice, chopped fresh herbs and season to taste.
Green Herb Oil
- 50g (1 bunch) Parsley leaves
- 50g Coriander leaves
- 150ml Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1g Salt
- Blanche and refresh herbs in iced water
- Wring herbs of extra moisture
- Puree all ingredients together, cover and refrigerate overnight
- In a fine strainer with oil filter strain the bulk of the herbs out, leaving you with a beautiful green herb oil
Warm Lemon Laban (Yoghurt Sauce)
- 1 bunch coriander, finely chopped
- 6-8 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1L DeWinkel Natural Yoghurt
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbspn corn flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 100 ml Anchor Fresh Cream
- Heat a small skillet over medium-high heat, and saute the coriander and the garlic with a pinch of salt until the garlic has just turned golden.
- Mix the amount of cornstarch with just enough cold water to form a paste.
- Using a blender, blend together the yogurt, the egg, the cornstarch paste, cream, and the salt until well combined.
- Pour yogurt mixture into a heavy saucepan over medium heat and immediately start whisking. Keep whisking and don’t stop or the sauce will separate.
- After around 10 minutes, the sauce will begin to boil and as soon as that happens take it off the heat.
- Add the fried garlic and coriander mix, stir and taste for seasoning. Add more cream or yoghurt if the sauce is too thick.